Different Online Slot Types
Most casinos group their slots into four types, which are Classic, Video, Jackpot and 3D. Don’t let this confuse you – we’re here to clarify and demystify, and to guide you though the process.
Partly due to the very word classic, the games that come to mind for most people are One-Armed Bandits and Fruit Machines. The latter still go by that name sometimes, although they often end up being lumped together with Video Slots. Their lack of reels and rows makes them tricky to categorise, even though their very simplicity makes them easy to identify. They have few added-extras, and as you might expect, the images depict fruit and similar well-known designs.
One-Armed Bandits, on the other hand, boast three rows and three reels, and any extra characteristics are kept straightforward. They tend to be adapted from or influenced by Classics, and keep players hooked by allowing them to see the whole machine, as opposed to only its screen.
These are also known as Slots without being specified as Video. Because there are so many and they’re so wide-reaching, this is the easiest way of dealing with them – anything that can’t be defined as a Classic can find a home here. Most of them are similar, with the usual three rows and five reels, but there is ample room for diversification beyond that. Some have four, six or more reels, while we won’t even mention the wild arrangements for rows, particularly on mobile phones. Then there are the Video Slots that exist without rows or reels, such as Fruit Warp, where fruit comes up until the winner ends up with three of the same kind – a bit like a scratchcard, without actually being one.
Jackpot and Progressive Slots
Jackpot Slots lack any unique features, and so could be defined as Classic or Video, but they do differ, in that it’s possible to win a jackpot, or even more than one, and it could be a Mega, Major or Mini payout (hope for the first). The three jackpot possibilities are:
- Pooled (Progressive)
- Local (Progressive)
- Set Jackpots
So what exactly do we mean by a Progressive Jackpot? Well, it’s one that isn’t fixed but increases with every bet placed. A small part of this is added to the pot, instead of feeding back to the casino, and it carries on growing in this way until someone scoops the lot, and we do mean a lot – we could be talking millions here, or at least the possibility of it, anyway. That’s progressive for sure!
Contrary to their name, 3D Slots don’t use the kind of technology that you may be thinking of. You may be sorry about that, or you may be relieved to know that you don’t have to wear lurid specs while you play. In this context, it just means that the games employ perspective, which produces a less flat and more realistic visual experience. Many casinos take advantage of this to advertise Betsoft, the only major producers in this category, so the branding has stayed put. However, many sites list games from other developers as 3D, too.
Most Popular Slots
at New Casinos
There are many new games available now, but the Classics retain their place as the most popular online slots. Chosen here by players on New Casinos, we admire their discerning tastes. We’re happy to agree, and to go along with them on this:
- Book of Dead
- Gonzo’s Quest
- Rainbow Riches
- Wolf Gold
- Fire Joker
Basically, everyone knows how slots work. You either click a button or pull a lever and the reels start rotating till they come to a stop. In case the symbols match, then it’s your lucky day as you will have won. It’s not that easy. Let us take you behind the scenes and show you how these slots exactly work.
Reels and Rows
A game will always be determined by how many reels and rows it has, even though we tend to forget their significance almost entirely. Classic slots always have three reels and three rows while video slots have five reels and three rows. Reels are the key factor in defining the importance of genres.
Reels and rows are the determinant factor of how many symbols will be available. You may be dealing with 8, 16 or huge slots that have way more symbols and cluster points. Reels and rows decide the number of symbols that you will need to win a game or make a difference on what ratios actually really matter. If you get a 3 in a row during a one-armed bandit will be of huge importance. On the other hand, if you get 3 in a row on a video slot, that will mean losing big on your money.
This is the time when slots come in real handy and can come up with unique designs. Reels have come from just being simple to being the game-changer during play and when coming up with designs. Reels present opportunities for rules to be bent. For instance, take a look at Fruit Warp. Reels have been able to develop into key features that have actually been so impressive.
Definitely you have ever been in a situation where you were so certain that you had won but turned out that you had not. This is where you pay attention to the paylines only to realize that the game didn’t go your way.
Paylines are the definition of valid combinations that result in a win. The basic combinations are the easiest to understand. You have 3+ rows. These are usually the first three. Apart from that, you also have diagonal lines, which are very easy to notice. After you can pinpoint them, you should be able to identify the lines that define winning and those that require a second look.
For you to win, you need to match symbols after the reels come to a stop. Every slot is unique in terms of design and value. Essentially there are only six types of symbols.
- General symbols : These are the easiest symbols to know about. These are symbols with simply no special functions. Although they will play a big role in helping you win the game without adding any flash. Some games only utilize general symbols which makes the game even easier. You just need to line up enough general symbols to be a winner. Piece of cake. Right?
- Wild symbols : These symbols are often regarded as “jokers” because they have the ability to make the game more fun and exciting to play. These wild cards can replace any symbol on your reels. Wild symbols can be several different symbols at the same time. They can be multiple symbols and combine to make as many winning combinations as possible.
- Scatter symbols : These symbols can bend all the game rules by even getting rid of the paylines. You don’t need to line them up in a row in order for you to win. They just need to be available. Scatter symbols will only earn you two symbols combinations. Meaning you can have a symbol on the first and last reel but still be able to win. This unique feature may earn you “free spin symbols,” “bonus game symbols,” or “jackpot symbols”.
- Free spin symbols : Experienced slot players will always have the strategy of chasing the free spins rounds. Having free spin symbols is what will earn you free spin rounds. At times the number of free spins is limited, but that is not always the case. The most common rule that applies is that if you line up many free spin symbols, then you earn many free spins rounds.
- Bonus game symbols : Like the name suggests, bonus game symbols will unlock a bonus game or games. At times the number of bonus games may be limited.
- Jackpot symbols : Jackpot symbols can instantly reward the jackpot or start a specific bonus game. These jackpot symbols don’t have many features that they can offer.